Geschatte leestijd: 6 minutes
Despite the effects that the corona pandemic has had on the Spanish property market, it is doing very well in 2021. According to a recently published ranking, Spain is the fifth market with the most investments in tertiary real estate.
- Spanish real estate investments
- The national investor, clear protagonist
- 2022 a record year for cross-border investment
- The best investments in Costa del Sol in 2022
- Download our Free investment Guides
Spanish real estate investments
The list was compiled by Catella and Urban Land Institute and covers the first half of 2021. In total, Spanish real estate brought in EUR 5.2 billion, surpassed only by the major markets of the Old Continent, such as France, Great Britain and Germany. In Catella’s research, Spain ranks fifth, if the investments of all Scandinavian countries are added together.
“Spain is an attractive market for several reasons: a large population, with major cities and the main growth engines. The return/risk ratio is higher than in other countries and, after the pandemic, the Spanish real estate sector is recovering strongly, especially in logistics, data centres, offices and residential areas,” explained Thomas Beyerle, Head of Research at Catella Group, at the Real Estate Capital Flows EMEA meeting at ULI Madrid NEXT, which was exclusively open to Brainsre.news.
Apart from the fact that Spain ws the main player due to its position among the major markets, the UK’s return to first place in real estate investment in Europe is the big novelty.
“For the last three years, Germany was number one, but investors believe that the uncertainty of the Brexit has been overcome and have brought the UK back into that position,” underlines the Head of Research at Catella.
The national investor, clear protagonist
The travel restrictions have had a clear impact on the profile of the property investor in Europe. For example, the domestic buyer, who represented less than 40% of total property investment before the coronavirus, now stands at almost 50% of the total.
“Many of the investments now being made in European countries are led by home buyers, but cross-border activity is returning to March 2020 levels,” says Thomas Beyerle.
2022 a record year for cross-border investment
“Forecasts suggest that 2022 will be a record year for cross-border investment in the real estate sector in Europe,” say those at the consultancy. In the case of Spain, the German investor is the clear protagonist. A total of €1.26 billion was invested by German funds in Spanish brick in the first six months of 2021, followed by American and French investors.
If there are two key players after the pandemic, in Spain but also across Europe, they are rental properties and logistics properties. “The challenges caused by the pandemic in the retail and logistics sectors have increased the risk of the former compared to residential rental, which has not been affected,” said a Catella spokesperson.
The consultancy believes there is still a “very buoyant market”, despite figures from the last few semesters reflecting a decline in office investment.
More from Investinspain – Luxury new build homes Costa del Sol
The best investments in Costa del Sol in 2022
Download our Free investment Guides
1. How to choose a SOLID NEW BUILD HOME INVESTMENT (+ 5% ROI per year) – The ultimate checklist
21-pages of valuable information…for free! In this E-book we reveal all the necessary knowledge to make a (new construction) investment a success. + HANDY CHECKLIST!
- Checklist: The ideal new build property investment in southern Spain
- 9 critical issues that could endanger
- List: Practical matters for vacation rentals in Andalusia
- Recommendations: the best investments in 2022 (Q3/Q4)
- An example calculation of rental income (3 bedroom apartment)
- Download our free E-book.
- Say goodbye to uncertainties! All the knowledge you need for a solid investment.
2. Finally! Buying new construction in Spain without worries!
7-page, free E-book with all the necessary financial knowledge to purchase a new build home in southern Spain.
An overview of all Taxes arising from the acquisition of a property.
- All taxes for owning a property in Spain.
- Buying as a private individual or as a company (not) established in Spain?
- Clarity on the Plusvalia tax: Who is it for?
- How much Capital Gains Tax do you pay in Spain?
- Inheritance tax? Take advantage of a 99% reduction in Spain! How?… Download our free E-book.
- Say goodbye to uncertainties! All the documentation needed for a transaction.